The table is set.
Delicious entrées, a glass of wine with a friend, or a made-to-order meal for visiting family—including cleanup! We are currently serving residents in their residences following all health and safety protocols. Everything is prepared fresh daily by our executive chef and dining team.
Click here to watch a video of our dining room.
Fresh and delicious, every day.
- Seasonal favorites
- Healthy dining options: fresh seafood, chicken, and plenty of vegetables
- Coffee, tea, and snacks
- Choices for food allergies and special diets
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Catering available
Get where you’re going.
There’s a world just beyond our tranquil neighborhood here at Villa Gardens. Villa Gardens’ resident transportation can get you there, safely, following all local health and safety protocols. We offer scheduled local trips to the bank, the doctor, or other destinations. And when you’re headed out—whether it’s for errands, afternoon tea, or an art walk, we can help you get there. Simply schedule with our concierge or with our transportation director. Our driver will take you to medical appointments, a day out with friends, or to a neighboring town. It’s simple: no parking hassles, and we’ll pick you up when you’re done.
Where do you want to go?
- Complimentary transportation is available five days a week, following all local health and safety protocols
- Simply schedule 24 hours in advance
- The Metro Gold Line has six stops in Pasadena, including one that is a half block from Villa Gardens
- Concierge Lyft program available
When the world opens up, head out on your own. There’s so much to explore:
- Shopping centers
- Movies, music venues
- Organized trips to local events
- Old Town Pasadena
- Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens
- Descanso Gardens
- Pasadena Playhouse
- Pasadena Symphony
- Norton Simon Museum
- Shopping in the South Lake district
- The Broad
- LA Opera
- Museum of Contemporary Art
- Walt Disney Concert Hall
- Laemmle Theatres for arthouse films
Furry friends welcome.
Villa Gardens isn’t just friendly—it’s pet-friendly. Pets offer companionship and comfort, especially now during the pandemic. You’ll see furry friends lounging on patios, out for daily walks, and at our very own dog park where green grass and other sights and smells invite pooches to play. Within the secured space, four-legged friends are safe to socialize with their owners who follow all local health and safety protocols. Ask about our pet policy when you visit or call.
Together, you can enjoy:
- Our friendly fenced dog park
- Colorful flower gardens
- Flat walking paths
Be a part of it all.
There truly is something for everyone here—and if it doesn’t exist we can help you make your idea a reality. Try something you’ve never done, take up an old hobby, and make new friends. Since 2020, many of these rich offerings are available virtually on a variety of platforms and we are able to offer technical support when needed.
Explore some of our committees and events:
- Mentor Committee assisting new residents
- Dining Services Committee
- Senior Advocates Committee
- Activity Committee
- Library Committee
- Fitness Committee
- Hospitality Committee
- Villa Voice, our quarterly newsletter
- Putting green
- Swimming pool
- Reading nooks
- Jigsaw puzzles
- Card games
Soon we will resume off-site entertainment and activities:
- Downtown Los Angeles
- Live music performances
- Live theater
- Garden trips
- Walking tours
Wellbeing as a way of life.
Our Life Enrichment activities are designed around holistic wellbeing, emphasizing physical, intellectual, emotional, social, spiritual, and vocational needs. We have adapted many of our exercise classes to virtual and/or socially distanced opportunities. Our fully equipped Fitness Center is also open by appointment for individual use. Get moving on the treadmill in our Solarium Gym with a view of the heated pool and Jacuzzi. Pump iron or go for a spin, all while overlooking the outdoor patio and putting green. Take in the year-round beauty of the great outdoors during a walk at nearby Lacy Park. Our personal trainers will create a program just for you. Click here to watch a video of our Solarium Gym.
- Fitness Center
- Certified senior-fitness personal trainer
- Classes for all levels and abilities
- Health speakers
- Wellness center
- Heated swimming pool
- Senior fitness and balance assessments
- Information seminars and screenings
- Outpatient Physical therapy
Wonderful ways to work out when we get back together again:
- Tai chi
- Chair exercise
- Body strengthening
- Fall prevention
- Balance class
- Water aerobics
- NuStep® fitness equipment
- Putting green
- Lacy Park tennis courts
- Golf at Brookside
From the beginning, Villa Gardens was created by and for retired teachers, so it’s no surprise to see the emphasis on lifelong learning, even during times when many do it virtually or while socially distanced. Our residents come from all walks of life including many with academic and scientific backgrounds, and it shows. From the Little Free Library out front, to our beautifully inviting library inside, we enjoy the classics, daily newspapers, and everything in-between. We celebrate partnerships with local colleges and community cultural venues. With lectures, classes, and seminars, Villa Gardens is steeped in a culture of learning.
Virtually pursue new interests or hone your skills until we can get back together in person:
- Frequent group excursions
- Partnership with 75+ community organizations
- Cultural and educational opportunities
- Villa Gardens’ Life Enrichment program
- Visiting lecturers from UCLA, USC, Caltech, and Pasadena City College
- Talks by experts from Carnegie Observatories and Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Music enrichment classes with LA Opera Community Education
Events we enjoy:
- Culinary arts educator talks
- Visitors from Fuller Seminary
- Foreign language classes
- Distinguished speaker series
- CSLA Emeritus speakers program
- Pasadena Conservatory music history lectures
- USC music professor jazz talk
Creative expression is self-expression.
Particularly during challenging times, art fills life with purpose and inspiration. It brings people and ideas together, if not in person, virtually. That’s why we support the arts wholeheartedly. It isn’t just that we’re located in a hub of art and architecture—it’s part of who we are. Every day brings opportunities for residents to explore their creative sides in a rich, supportive environment. We are particularly proud of our Joyful Hearts Chorus, for residents living at Summer House and their volunteer “buddies.” They all come together to perform favorite songs under the guidance of a chorus director and accompanist.
We offer a variety of clubs and classes:
- Monthly art instruction for all skill levels
- Music and theater programs at home and offsite
- Painting classes
- Creative writing
- Film critique
- Art lectures
- Sketching class
- Craft class
- Resident-led classes by request
- Visiting students from arts institutions
Knowing all the spots for a quick bite, a good cup of tea, and great conversation is what makes a place your place. Meet up with friends, play cards, take in a movie, or get a new ‘do. It’s all up to you. When allowed by the local health department, we will reopen our activities for socially distanced small groups and individuals.
Neighborhood conveniences around Villa Gardens:
- Solarium Gym
- The Bistro and lounge*
- Full-service salon*
- Currently, you may make an appointment to shop at Villamart—a store for sundries, gifts, and treasures
- Craft room*
- Game room*
- Villa Vista—our gathering place for performances, movies, and larger meetings
*Temporarily closed due to the pandemic.