The table is set.
Locally sourced produce, delicious entrées, a glass of wine with a friend, or a made-to-order meal for visiting family—including cleanup! You can dine in your room, take a picnic to go, or settle in and socialize in our elegant dining room. Everything is prepared fresh daily by our executive chef and dining team, including 30 menu options, and a full buffet with fresh fruit and cheese. It’s healthy, satisfying, and served with a smile.
Fresh and delicious, every day.
- Restaurant-style dining with table service
- Seasonal favorites
- Healthy dining options: fresh seafood, chicken, and plenty of vegetables
- Coffee, tea, and snacks
- Choices for food allergies and special diets
- A bright, beautiful setting with a view
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Catering available
- Extended dining hours
Get where you’re going.
There’s a world just beyond our tranquil neighborhood here at Villa Gardens. And when you’re headed out—whether it’s for errands, afternoon tea, or an art walk, we can help you get there. Simply schedule with our concierge or with our transportation director. Our driver will take you to medical appointments, a day out with friends, or to a neighboring town. It’s simple: no parking hassles, and we’ll pick you up when you’re done.
Where do you want to go?
- Complimentary transportation is available daily
- Simply schedule 24 hours in advance
- The Metro Gold Line has six stops in Pasadena
- Concierge Lyft program available
- Head out on your own, or on organized excursions
There’s so much to explore:
- Shopping centers
- Movies, music venues
- Organized trips to local events
- Old Town Pasadena
- Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens
- Descanso Gardens
- Pasadena Playhouse
- Pasadena Symphony
- Norton Simon Museum
- Shopping in the South Lake district
- The Broad
- LA Opera
- Museum of Contemporary Art
- Walt Disney Concert Hall
- Laemmle Theatres for arthouse films
Furry friends welcome.
Villa Gardens isn’t just friendly—it’s pet-friendly. You’ll see furry friends lounging on patios, out for daily walks, and at our very own dog park where green grass and other sights and smells invite pooches to play. Within the secured space, four-legged friends are safe to socialize. And, it turns out, pet owners like to flock together too. Join us for Yappy Hour! Ask about our pet policy when you visit.
Together, you can enjoy:
- Our friendly fenced dog park
- Colorful flower gardens
- Flat walking paths
Be a part of it all.
There truly is something for everyone here—and if it doesn’t exist we can help you make your idea a reality. Our social calendar includes holiday parties, music lessons, Taco Tuesday and margaritas, and happy hour with a pianist, live music, museum trips, and concerts—all with transportation included. Try something you’ve never done, take up an old hobby, and make new friends.
Explore some of our committees and events:
- Mentor Committee assisting new residents
- Dining Services Committee
- Senior Advocates Committee
- Activity Committee
- Library Committee
- Fitness Committee
- Hospitality Committee
- Villa Voice, our quarterly newsletter
- Putting green
- Swimming pool
- Reading nooks
- Jigsaw puzzles
- Card games
We head out to destinations near and far.
- Downtown Los Angeles
- Live music performances
- Live theater
- Garden trips
- Walking tours
Wellbeing as a way of life.
Our Life Enrichment activities are designed around holistic wellbeing, emphasizing physical, intellectual, emotional, social, spiritual, and vocational needs. And in our state-of-the-art fitness center, we help optimize your physical fitness—not to mention the mental benefits of physical activity. Get moving in our Solarium Gym with a view of the heated pool and Jacuzzi. Pump iron or go for a spin in while overlooking the outdoor patio and putting green. Or take in the year-round beauty of the great outdoors. Our personal trainers will create a program just for you.
- Fitness Center
- Certified senior-fitness personal trainer
- Classes for all levels and abilities
- Health speakers
- Wellness center
- Heated swimming pool
- Senior fitness and balance assessments
- Information seminars and screenings
- Outpatient Physical therapy
Wonderful ways to work out:
- Tai chi
- Exercise classes
- Chair exercise
- Body strengthening
- Fall prevention
- Balance class
- Water aerobics
- NuStep® fitness equipment
- Putting green
- Walking path at nearby 30-acre Lacy Park
- Lacy Park tennis courts
- Golf at Brookside
From the beginning, Villa Gardens was created by and for retired teachers, so it’s no surprise to see the emphasis on lifelong learning. Our residents come from all walks of life including many with academic and scientific backgrounds, and it shows. From the Little Free Library out front, to our beautifully inviting library inside, we enjoy the classics, daily newspapers, and everything in-between. We celebrate partnerships with local colleges and community cultural venues. With lectures, classes, and seminars, Villa Gardens is steeped in a culture of learning.
Pursue new interests or hone your skills:
- Frequent group excursions
- Partnership with 75+ community organizations
- Cultural and educational opportunities
- Villa Gardens’ Life Enrichment program
- Visiting lecturers from UCLA, USC, Caltech, and Pasadena City College
- Talks by experts from Carnegie Observatories and Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Music enrichment classes with LA Opera Community Education
Events we enjoy:
- Culinary arts educator talks
- Visitors from Fuller Seminary
- Foreign language classes
- Distinguished speaker series
- CSLA Emeritus speakers program
- Pasadena Conservatory music history lectures
- USC music professor jazz talk
Creative expression is self-expression.
We support the arts wholeheartedly. It isn’t just that we’re located in a hub of art and architecture—it’s part of who we are. Every day brings opportunities for residents to explore their creative sides in a rich, supportive environment. We are particularly proud of our Joyful Hearts Chorus, for residents living at Summer House and their volunteer “buddies.” They all come together to perform favorite songs under the guidance of a chorus director and accompanist.
We offer a variety of clubs and classes:
- Monthly art instruction for all skill levels
- Music and theater programs at home and offsite
- Painting classes
- Creative writing
- Film critique
- Art lectures
- Sketching class
- Craft class
- Resident-led classes by request
- Visiting students from arts institutions
Knowing all the spots for a quick bite, a good cup of tea, and great conversation is what makes a place your place. Meet up with friends, play cards, take in a movie, or get a new ‘do. It’s all up to you.
Neighborhood conveniences around Villa Gardens:
- The Bistro and lounge
- Full-service salon
- Villamart—a store for sundries, gifts, and treasures
- Craft room
- Game room
- Villa Vista—our gathering place for performances, movies, and larger meetings